Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Pink Rose

I went to the place she lived
Qute sometime ago
To prepare for her a garden of roses
All in a neat little row.
I took my shovel and began
To work the dirt and rock mound
And after a long afternoon
I had the roses in the ground
I planted red, yellow, white
And the pink she liked the best
The hardest rose to grow
More difficult than the rest.
I went to the place she lived
Two years ago this May
To check on the roses
And wish her "Happy Mother's Day."
The bushes had gown about 3 foot
Quite delicate still
They had not yet produced thorns
But the roses had begun to fill.
I went to the cemetary
During an unusual October snow
To check the garden of roses
I had planted years ago.
I wanted to make sure the roses
Could survive the early winter's bite
But I must have been snowblind
When I arrived at the garden site.
Atop the soft powder show
The bushes stood tall and proud
All blossomed in one color
Cascading into an elegant pink shroud.
A labyrinth of thorny vines
Across the granite stone grows
Hiding most of her name
Revealing only, "My One Rose."
©2001 by Teresa Sherrod, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment